An Australian woman whose asbestos-related cancer was misdiagnosed twice says doctors and patients need to be more aware of the symptoms of mesothelioma.
Two months ago Ruth Rose and her husband, Geoff, from Tuross in NSW, were getting ready for the trip of a lifetime — they were headed to New York to travel along Route 66.
But when she got off the plane in New York, Ms Rose could barely breathe.”
I was shocked to find that I had a chest cavity full of fluid, because it’d never entered my head that that was the problem,” she said.Her lung had collapsed; one doctor said it resembled a sponge full of water.
“I remembered that my brother had fluid with his mesothelioma, so I told them I’d been exposed to asbestos and [the doctors] knew what to look for, then,” Ms Rose said.
“It gave them the clue to do further tests to prove that that’s what it was.
“After surgery to drain the fluid, a biopsy from the lining of Ms Rose’s lung confirmed she had developed the asbestos-related cancer that her brother is also fighting.
[Article continues at original source]
Asbestos-Mesothelioma Case Evaluation Form
Free. Confidential. No Obligation.